FJ80 "lazy" starter fix

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FJ80 "lazy" starter fix

Post by jaschmitt on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 am

Well I went out this morning to start up my FJ and got nothing but the dreadful starter solenoid clicking sound and no starter motor, it has done this a-lot so I just assumed the starter was on the way out, but this time it wasn't going to start. After a little troubleshooting I ruled out the battery and the ignition... crap!
I got on the internet machine and started googling about the fj80 starter issue and came to the conclusion that this was a common problem and it has nothing to do with the starter itself but the Toyota wiring not sending enough amperage to the solenoid creating a lazy starter.
I came across a forum on IH8MUD where guys are using old ford starting solenoids to send strait battery power to the solenoid on the starter. Luckily I had an old relay I decided to keep and wired that up. All I did was splice the wire that sends the signal from the ignition to the start solenoid and wired that to the switch signal on the relay and cut some wire and hooked that up from the battery to the contact side of the relay to the signal on the starter solinoid, got all the grounds hooked up and turned the key... DONE seems to start better than ever cheers

jaschmitt

Back to top Go down

Re: FJ80 "lazy" starter fix

Post by Smokey on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:21 am

At least your truck wasn't down til you could order new parts. lol

I'm guessing this why we didnt see ya out at spider alley?

JUNKED: '96 Surf, 3.0 TD, 883 & Top Plate spacer/851's, ES9000 shocks, 1" Body lift, Spidertrax, 315/70R17 Duratracs, Rear Spool, 5% tint, turbo timer, & all kinds of custom fabbed stuff

NEW: Tin-top Jimny, winch, locked F&R, SPOA, Missing link shackles, etc. etc...

Smokey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jaschmitt on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:25 am

Smokey wrote:At least your truck wasn't down til you could order new parts. lol

I'm guessing this why we didnt see ya out at spider alley?

Yeah, I sent a text to the number you pm'd... I try to fix things by the cheapest fastest means possible, I don't like waiting for shipping. Laughing

jaschmitt

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokey on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:16 pm

oh, never got it.. Who knows, with Softbank I'll probably get it in 3 or 4 days. lol.

but thats good stuff man. Pure example of K.I.S.S. lol

JUNKED: '96 Surf, 3.0 TD, 883 & Top Plate spacer/851's, ES9000 shocks, 1" Body lift, Spidertrax, 315/70R17 Duratracs, Rear Spool, 5% tint, turbo timer, & all kinds of custom fabbed stuff

NEW: Tin-top Jimny, winch, locked F&R, SPOA, Missing link shackles, etc. etc...

Smokey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jaschmitt on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:54 pm

Smokey wrote:oh, never got it.. Who knows, with Softbank I'll probably get it in 3 or 4 days. lol.

but thats good stuff man. Pure example of K.I.S.S. lol

F-yeah simple stupid

jaschmitt

Back to top Go down

Post by greengorrila on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:34 am

another common problem with the 80's is the actual ignition key switch having a dead spot. also if you have the dual battery setup if one of the terminals comes loose on any of the batterys you will have the same symptons. just fyi as these are things i have come across.

greengorrila

Back to top Go down

Post by jaschmitt on Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:15 am

greengorrila wrote:another common problem with the 80's is the actual ignition key switch having a dead spot. also if you have the dual battery setup if one of the terminals comes loose on any of the batterys you will have the same symptons. just fyi as these are things i have come across.

I have the 3fe engine so I only have the single battery, It is kind of a pain to find some parts like for the exhaust, fenders, and some other things here and there. All in all I love it, its basically unstopable with the lockers, but I spend a fortune on gas

jaschmitt

Back to top Go down

Post by greengorrila on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:12 pm

yea the 3FE is a gas eater. there are lots of parts on the yahoo japan auction site. let me know if you need help searching that site

greengorrila

Back to top Go down

Post by jaschmitt on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:41 pm

greengorrila wrote:yea the 3FE is a gas eater. there are lots of parts on the yahoo japan auction site. let me know if you need help searching that site

Do you work or live on Kinser? I think I saw your FJ today at one of the warehouses...

jaschmitt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:35 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top